Thursday, October 21, 2010

Senior Moments

Old age. What exactly is THE number that decides you’re now old. If you ask me, it’s more of a state of mind. Take for instance, my new friend Bryce. He’s in his late 40’s but you would never know it by the way he acts.

It’s a Friday night when this story happens. My friend Jennifer and I decide that we’re going to hang out in her neighborhood, have a few drinks and see where the night might lead us. It just so happens to be the same neighborhood that Bryce lives in. I call him up and let him know that I’m going to be in the hood that evening and ask him if he wants to come hang out. He says yes and tells me to call him when I’m on my way in.

I get to Jennifer’s house and give him a ring. No answer. So my friends and I go on with our evening, hang out, watch some TV, shoot the shit, have a few beers, etc…, when Jen’s husband, Blaine, asks me where Bryce is. I tell him I have no idea. That I called him about 7:30 but he didn’t answer. So Blaine tries to call him too. He doesn’t get him to answer his phone either. This is pretty typical for Bryce to not answer his phone, or his door. Guess when this is your M.O. it gets people thinking. And thinking on a Friday night is not necessarily always a good thing.

So we continue to hang, and wait, and have a few drinks and wait. Nothing. Finally about 9 PM Blaine blurts out “this is ridiculous! It’s Friday night, where the hell is he? He’s probably passed out on us. We should go wake him up!” I tell Blaine HELL YEAH, I’m game, what do you have in mind? He tells me that he just so happens to have an air horn and asks me if I know where Bryce’s bedroom window is. “I sure do.” I tell him and so we hop in my car and head around the corner. So there we are, Blaine, Jennifer and myself in the dark, giggling like a bunch of school girls, tiptoeing around Bryce’s house. Blaine gets in prime position and lets the air horn rip! OMG, it’s sooooo loud. We’re practically jumping out of our skin and we knew it was coming. So of course we run back to the car and take off.

Not two minutes later Blaine calls Bryce to see if he’s awake now. He answers the phone. Jennifer and I can only hear one end of the conversation, but it’s freaking hilarious and we’re trying to keep ourselves from busting out laughing and getting ourselves caught.

Well the prank works. Bryce decides he’s awake now and is gonna come over. He walks in the door. Sits down and is pretty quiet for a few minutes. Then he asks me how long I’ve been at Blaine and Jennifer’s. I told him since about 7:30 when I called him. To where he says “Oh, really? Because the hood of your car is warm.” Damn! When did Bryce become a member of the CSI? And now is he going to decide I’m some kind of crazy stalker? I mean Bryce and I have just started to get to know each other. This could go really badly. Thankfully Blaine covers for me and tells Bryce that it was all his doing. Man I love my friends!

The retelling of the story comes up from time to time throughout the weeks but Bryce never suspects that I was involved. He pipes up here and there about some retaliatory plots against Blaine and we all get a kick out of that. Then this past weekend a whole big group of us are sitting around telling stories and the events of that night come up again. I’m encouraged to tell the story and me, not being one to pass up an opportunity to open my big mouth, start telling the tale. About halfway through the story Bryce looks over at me and says “Oh, so you were there too?” SHIT. I totally busted myself. Then he says “don’t think I won’t get you too.” Well, at least he had a good sense of humor about it.

As for me, guess I should have learned to respect my elders a long time ago. Some people never learn. And yes, I am one of those people.