Thursday, February 3, 2011

Waxing and Wayne-ing Part 2

Continued from Waxing & Wayne-ing Part I

For months and months after “Wayne’s” sudden departure I went through the motions of life but was never really “alive.” Being a single parent who once again was alone, I knew I had to get up in the morning, go to work, come home, and make sure the kids had stuff to eat, but that was it. That was all I did. Then one day I walked into my garage and woke up.

It was that day that I realized all his “stuff” was still there. Neatly boxed and ready to be moved whenever he was ready. But this day was different. I was ready for it to be moved. Five months was long enough. I didn’t really NEED the space in my garage for anything in particular but I NEEDED the space back in my head… and my heart.

I placed a call to his mother to arrange a time for him to come pick up his things. She called me back with a date and time and the plan was set in motion.

The day comes; I open my garage and wait for him to show up knowing my heart is going to leap out of my chest when the doorbell rings. But it never does. No. He instead walks right in. Like he still lives there, grabs me, holds onto me, starts to cry and tells me he loves me. My eyes fill with tears and I am completely speechless.

He walks around for a few minutes and looks at things but doesn’t say a word. I can’t help but wonder what is going through his head. I suggest that we move along and load up his truck. We head to the garage, I open the door and there stands his step-son. WOW! Now that takes balls! And here after all this time, him leaving me to clean up his mess I thought he didn’t have any left. Guess I was wrong. Especially after I had been so kind, NOT cussing him out, NOT setting his shit on fire on the front lawn like EVERYONE told me to do and storing his things for him all this time, he has the nerve to show up with his new wife’s kid. I decide to be the bigger person and I hold my tongue.

First load of stuff is in the truck & he tells me he’ll see in a few minutes to grab the rest. He never does come back. I call his mother later that evening to let her know that he has until 2:00 the next day to get the rest of his things or they are being donated. During this call she asks me if Wayne seemed quiet and if he walked around the house when he was there. Weird. I tell her as a matter of fact he did. Why? She said he told her that he was thinking. Wondering to himself if he really made the right decision.

I know for me at least, once I say “I do” that’s sort of the nail in the coffin for any other previous/potential relationships I might have had but I guess not everyone thinks the same.

2:00 the next day comes and goes. I make a phone call to a friend who brings his truck, in the pouring rain, no questions asked and helps me load it all up and take it away. 3:00 the phone rings. It’s Wayne. Too little too late. I never do answer the phone. I don’t need to nor do I want to.

I know at that moment I am free and a smile comes to my face.

Of course at that time I had NO idea what was waiting for me in the world of dating. If I had only known then what I know now…..