Thursday, February 9, 2012

Smoke and Mirrors

I know I can be rough around the edges. I know I can be a tough person to deal with sometimes. I know that I’ve built up quite a reputation, but I also consider myself a fairly rational person. I guess that part doesn’t come out nearly as often as I think it does. This apparently leads people to tell me things that they think I want to hear. My motto is I don’t do things to people that I don’t want them to do to me so I tend to play it straight forward. I guess that is my blessing and my curse.

Once again I get a “smile” from someone from the BBW site that I’m a member of. I’m excited because I’ve had my eye on “Beau” for a little while but since I’m not a paid member of the site I was never able to contact him directly. I had seriously been considering getting a membership just to be able to talk to this guy and much to my surprise he is now sending ME an email! His pictures are great, his story is right up my alley and he actually seems like a pretty decent guy. Have I finally hit the jackpot?

We arrange to meet at a local restaurant even though he’s from about an hour away and see how that plays out and go from there. I’m impressed already. He’s willing to drive to me, that in my book is a big deal. We meet for a simple dinner and start to get to know each other. He starts off by talking about all of the women he’s dated and what was the matter with all of them. Wait a friggin minute! That’s my line! I’m the funny one with a blog. You’re cramping my style dude! I sit through the endless list of things that have been wrong with his dates worrying that each time he starts another story that the exact thing he didn’t like about that date is going to describe me to a tee. So I sit, and listen. Almost speechless, this really isn’t like me at all.

Suddenly he gets a phone call and excuses himself. At least he’s not rude enough to sit there and talk in front of me like I don’t exist. We finish our meal continue to talk when his phone rings again. It’s his daughter, his grandson isn’t feeling well and she’s taking him to the emergency room and she needs him home right away. Ahhhhh, here it is. The classic blow off. It’s Friday night and I’m going to be home by 8PM. Oh well, at least I got a free meal out of the deal and didn’t have to sit at home for the evening. I thank him for a nice time, tell him I hope his grandson is OK and we part ways.

So I think we’re done. Nope. He texts me non-stop the rest of the evening telling me that he was having a hard time concentrating at dinner because I was so beautiful. That he was undressing me with his eyes the whole night and that he hopes that he can make his sudden departure up to me the next day and take me out again.

HUH? So that wasn’t a blow off? Wait, now I’m confused.

I didn’t really feel any sparks but I thought maybe that was because I was so freaked out that he would be turned off by one thing or another about me since his damn list was so long. So I decided to give it another try and agree to meet him the next evening. He told me that he would call when he knew his work schedule so we could make plans for the night.

Wouldn’t you know, I’m still waiting for that call. Guess it was a blow off after all. So why the big theatrics and the apologies and the texting me all night long? Why not just quit while you’re ahead? Why did he feel the need to blow smoke up my ass when my ass was perfectly fine without it? Guess that’s a question that will never be answered.